Pillar Pillai.....


Pillar Pillai - His name is Arumugam Pillai S, he calls himself SAP and the the profs here call him Mr.Pillai.



He is a Technical Officer at the Chem. Dept , IISc (http://chemeng.iisc.ernet.in/) and also the library incharge , ............now that is where I come in ! I was stationed in the library (aka The Bunker) during my stay there this winter !



This person, he says he doesn't talk much, but somehow, right from day one, he started jabbering with me ! A very kind hearted, staunch believer of GOD is GOD , thinks everything happening around him is because of GOD and a very affectionate father and a powerful researcher !
He joined the Dept. during 1979 and during my 1month stay he rattled off his 28 yr experiences at the Dept. Gave me lots of tips, various stories of students whom he has seen, how and what the students do after the IISc life, some inside sneak-peek stories about the profs in the Dept., and a lot about Sai Baba and GOD.
He would go out of the way to help me ! and I really mean that. He allowed me to carry home library books when Project Assistants are strictly prohibited to do so, used to go to the main JRD TATA lib in IISc and borrow books for me in his account (we don't get to borrow books from there, it's a huge repository of the rarest books).
He was my spiritual and philosophical guru and kept bombarding me with pep talk and encouragements. He works a lot on utilizing fibers as adsorbents to remove Cadmium from water and has quite a few publications to his credit !

People who may go to the Chemical Engg. Dept at IISc, do make it a point to be-friend him, he may himself come swaggering towards you, but do not neglect him, he is a very nice person and lovable one too ! Kudos to Mr.Pillai , my Pillar !

0 comments: